|The flowers of the Columbine (Aquilegia) were consumed in moderation by Native
Americans as a condiment with other fresh greens, and are reported to be very sweet, and safe if consumed
in small quantities. The plant's seeds and roots are highly poisonous however, and contain cardiogenic
toxins which cause both severe gastroenteritis and heart palpitations if consumed as food.
Native Americans used very small amounts of Aquilegia root as an effective treatment for ulcers.
However, the medical use of this plant is better avoided due to its high toxicity; columbine poisonings may be fatal.
If you are interested, click here.